March 20, 2017 – EuroCan Manufacturing is voluntarily recalling their individually shrink-wrapped, 6-pack, 12-pack and 25-pack bags of Barnsdale Farms®, HoundsTooth® and Mac’s Choice® Pig Ears due to potential salmonella contamination.
Salmonella can affect animals eating the contaminated products and humans are also at risk after handling the products, especially if you don’t wash your hands thoroughly with soap afterward.
Company: EuroCan Manufacturing of New Hamburg, Ontario
- The lot number being recalled is 84 and was distributed throughout the U.S.A. and Canada.
- The recalled products were packaged as individually shrink-wrapped, 6-pack, 12-pack and 25-pack bags in the Barnsdale Farms®, Barnsdale Farms®-Select, Houndstooth® and Mac’s Choice® brands.
Recalled Product Photos:
Why recalled? Due to possible Salmonella Contamination.
- This is a voluntary recall and the lot number being recalled is 84.
- No illness of any kind has been reported to date.
- A Routine testing revealed the presence of salmonella in the product.
- The company has suspended distribution of the product as they and FDA investigate to find the source.
What to do?
- If you have purchased any of the recalled products, stop feeding it to your pet and return it to the place of purchase for a refund.
- Consumers with questions may contact the company Monday to Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM ET Time at 888-290-7606.
- U.S. citizens can report complaints about FDA-regulated pet food products by calling the consumer complaint coordinator in your area. Or go to http://www.fda.gov/petfoodcomplaints
- Canadians can report any health or safety incidents related to the use of this product by filling out the Consumer Product Incident Report Form.
About Salmonella Bacteria:
- Salmonella can affect animals eating the products.
- There is a risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, including raw food, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.
- Healthy people infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever.
- Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms.
- Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers immediately.
- Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting.
- Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain.
- Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans.
- If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian immediately.
FIND OUT WHAT OTHER PET BRANDS MADE THE RECALL LIST:
Don’t ever miss a recall ! Get all the pet food recall alerts delivered to your email as it happens by subscribing to our email notification list. It is FREE to sign up and as a bonus you will also get access to our newsletter.