UPDATE: Feb 15, 2018 – This recall of Smokehouse Pet Products has been expanded to include all “Beefy Munchies.”
February 9, 2018 – Smokehouse Pet Products is recalling 4-oz bags of dog treats labeled as “Beefy Munchies” because it has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. Salmonella was found during a routine testing by a Colorado Department of Agriculture.
Salmonella can affect animals eating the contaminated products and humans are also at risk when handling the products, especially if you don’t wash your hands thoroughly with soap afterward.[View All Recalls In Reverse Chronological Order]
- Smokehouse Pet Products, Inc. of Sun Valley, CA
These are the photos related to the recall:
The product comes in a 4-oz bags marked with UPC 78565857957 and lot 449294 and with a best used by date of 10/25/19 stamped on the back.
Why recalled? Due to Potential Salmonella Health Risk.
- So far, No illnesses have been reported due to this recall.
- These products, beefy munchies, was distributed in Colorado, North Carolina, Washington, Michigan, and through distributors selling to various retailers.
What to do?
- Consumers who have purchased 4-oz packages of “Beefy Munchies” should discontinue use of the product and may return the unused portion to the place of purchase for a full refund.
- Consumers with questions may contact Smokehouse Pet Products, Inc. at 1-877-699-7387, Monday through Friday 7am-3: 30 pm PST.
- U.S. citizens can report complaints about FDA-regulated pet food products by calling the consumer complaint coordinator in your area. Or go to http://www.fda.gov/petfoodcomplaints
- Canadians can report any health or safety incidents related to the use of this product by filling out the Consumer Product Incident Report Form.
About Salmonella Bacteria:
- Salmonella can affect animals eating the products.
- There is a risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.
- Healthy people infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever.
- Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms.
- Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers immediately.
- Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting.
- Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever, and abdominal pain.
- Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans.
- If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian immediately.
FIND OUT WHAT OTHER PET BRANDS MADE THE RECALL LIST:
Don’t ever miss a recall! Get all the pet food recall alerts delivered to your email as it happens by subscribing to our email notification list. It is FREE to sign up and as a bonus, you will also get access to our newsletter.