February 25, 2018 – Northwest Naturals voluntarily recalls 5 lb frozen Chicken and Salmon petfood chubs due to potential Listeria monocytogenes contamination.
Listeria monocytogenes bacteria can affect animals eating the contaminated products and humans are also at risk after handling the products, especially if you don’t wash your hands thoroughly with soap afterwards.
- Northwest Naturals of Portland, Oregon
- The recalled product is packaged in 5lb frozen chubs labeled Chicken and Salmon Dog Food with a UPC code of 0 87316 38440 6 and a product best buy date code of 15 082218
- The recalled product was ‘1’ isolated batch of 94 cases distributed to various distributors in California, Washington, Texas, Michigan, Georgia, and Rhode Island and sold through specialty pet retail stores.
Why recalled? positive test confirming Listeria monocytogenes.
- No pet or human illness has been reported to date due to this recall.
- On 12-22-2016, the products passed lab testing and were sold little over a year ago (on or before 1-23-17) to various distributors from above-mentioned states.
- The recall was initiated when the company was notified by Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) after MDARD bought one chub at a specialty store in Michigan and the sample tested positive only for listeria. (not for E-coli or Salmonella)
- Reports from all the distributors indicate that there are no products left at the distributors.
- The company tests all batches of products for all pathogens in a positive release program before releasing for shipping. The company tests over 600 batches of product per week.
- The company is a dual jurisdiction facility regulated by USDA-FSIS every day on every shift and FDA. The company does dual lab testing several times per month matching USDA- FSIS lab samples and comparing results.
What to do?
- Consumers are encouraged to check the lot code on any 5lb frozen Chicken and Salmon chubs.
- Any product with the matching lot code should be returned back to the place of purchase for a full refund.
- If you have any questions, you may contact Northwest Naturals at 1-866-637-1872, Monday-Friday, from 8:00am to 4:00pm PST or go to www.nw-naturals.net
- U.S. citizens can report complaints about FDA-regulated pet food products by calling the consumer complaint coordinator in your area. Or go to http://www.fda.gov/petfoodcomplaints.
- Canadians can report any health or safety incidents related to the use of this product by filling out the Consumer Product Incident Report Form
About Listeria monocytogenes:
- Listeria is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.
- Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain, and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
- Healthy cats and dogs very rarely become sick from Listeria. Animals ill with Listeria will display symptoms similar to the ones listed above for humans.
- People who have concerns about whether their pet has Listeria should contact their veterinarian.
FIND OUT WHAT OTHER PET BRANDS MADE THE RECALL LIST:
Don’t ever miss a recall! Get all the pet food recall alerts delivered to your email as it happens by subscribing to our email notification list. It is FREE to sign up and as a bonus, you will also get access to our newsletter.