February 10, 2018 – Redbarn Pet Products voluntarily recalls a single product, Redbarn Natural 7 inch Bully Stick Dog Chews 3-pack, due to a potential salmonella contamination.
Salmonella can affect animals eating the contaminated products and humans are also at risk when handling the products, especially if you don’t wash your hands thoroughly with soap afterward.
[View All Recalls In Reverse Chronological Order
- Redbarn Pet Products, LLC of Long Beach, CA
- No illnesses have been reported due to this voluntary recall. There also has been no negative reviews from consumers regarding this recalled product.
- Colorado Department of Agriculture notified the company about salmonella contamination after a test was done from a sample taken from a retail location.
- Redbarn claims to test every product before they leave the manufacturing plant. Tests were done on this ‘recalled product’, in company’s lab as well as a third-party lab, and the results came out to be negative. However, the company decided not to take chances and recall the products in question.
- “At Redbarn, we do the right thing for our customers. That means that we hold ourselves to the highest safety and quality assurance standards and take all precautions to prevent situations like a recall from happening.” says company President, Jeff Sutherland.
What to do?
- If you have purchased the recalled product, check the lot code to see if the lot code matches. If it does, stop feeding it to your pets.
- If your purchase matches the one with the affected lot code, you can return them to the place of purchase for a full refund.
- Consumers with questions may contact the company via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 1-800-775-3849, M-F, 8am-5pm PST.
- U.S. citizens can report complaints about FDA-regulated pet food products by calling the consumer complaint coordinator in your area. Or go to http://www.fda.gov/petfoodcomplaints
- Canadians can report any health or safety incidents related to the use of this product by filling out the Consumer Product Incident Report Form.
About Salmonella Bacteria:
- Salmonella can affect animals eating the products.
- There is a risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.
- Healthy people infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever.
- Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms.
- Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers immediately.
- Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting.
- Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever, and abdominal pain.
- Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans.
- If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian immediately.
FIND OUT WHAT OTHER PET BRANDS MADE THE RECALL LIST:
Don’t ever miss a recall! Get all the pet food recall alerts delivered to your email as it happens by subscribing to our email notification list. It is FREE to sign up and as a bonus, you will also get access to our newsletter.