Wellpet of Tewksbury, MA, is voluntarily recalling a limited amount of one recipe of canned dog food due to elevated levels of naturally occurring Beef Thyroid Hormone.
This recipe is a mixer or topper and is intended for intermittent or supplemental feeding only making the likelihood of a dog being affected pretty remote.
Company: Wellpet of Tewksbury, MA
Here are the details of the Recalled Product:
• Wellness 95% Beef Topper for Dogs
• Size: 13.2 oz cans
• Best-By Dates of 02 FEB 19, 29 AUG 19 and 30 AUG 19
The cans with the above Best By Dates have the potential to contain the elevated levels of beef thyroid hormone, according to the company. The Best By Dates are located on the bottom of the cans.
Why recalled? Due to Potential Elevated Levels of Naturally Occurring Beef Thyroid Hormone.
- Affected products were distributed at pet specialty retailers throughout North America and online.
- This is a voluntary recall executed as a precaution and no other Wellness products are affected.
- The company claims that no reports of health problems have been reported to date due to the recalled product.
What to do?
- If you have any of the 13.2 ounce cans of this specific recipe and marked with one of the three best-by dates, please email the company at email@example.com Or call them at 877-227-9587.
- U.S. citizens can report complaints about FDA-regulated pet food products by calling the consumer complaint coordinator in your area. Or go to http://www.fda.gov/petfoodcomplaints
- Canadians can report any health or safety incidents related to the use of this product by filling out the Consumer Product Incident Report Form.
Effects of elevated levels of beef thyroid hormone:
Elevated levels of this hormone may affect a dog’s metabolism and can be associated with anxiousness, increased thirst, increased urinary output and weight loss. However, with prolonged consumption, these symptoms may increase in severity and may include vomiting, diarrhea, and rapid or difficulty breathing.
Multiple studies indicate that, for the vast majority of pets, symptoms are reversible once the pet stops eating the product with elevated thyroid hormone.
If your pet has consumed this product and has exhibited any of these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.
FIND OUT WHAT OTHER PET BRANDS MADE THE RECALL LIST:
Don’t ever miss a recall ! Get all the pet food recall alerts delivered to your email as it happens by subscribing to our email notification list. It is FREE to sign up and as a bonus you will also get access to our newsletter.