Dogs make us forget our worries, bring joy in our lives and the best part is, we get a caring friend! They never make us feel alone.
As we all know that there are so many beautiful and intelligent dog breeds, it becomes hard to choose which one of them you should really keep as a pet.
Today I am going to introduce you to one such cute and a smart breed called Shiba Inu.
The Shiba Inu breed originated from central Japan as a hunting dog. They are the smallest of the six original and distinct spitz breeds of dog from Japan.
They are small, alert dogs that deal very well with mountainous terrain. And they look cute. Seriously; they look like a teddy bear! By the way, in case you didn’t know, “Inu” is a Japanese word for dog.
Here are some quick facts about this breed:
Lifespan: 12 – 15 y
- Japanese Shiba Inu
- Japanese Small Size Dog
- Shiba Ken
Country of origin: Japan
Temperament: Charming, Alert, Faithful, Confident, Keen, Fearless
10 kg (22 lb)
8 kg (18 lb)
35 to 43 cm (14 to 17 in)
33 to 41 cm (13 to 16 in)
Color: Red, sesame, black and tan, or white
Coat: double coat
Litter size: 3 puppies on average.
Let me point out some other distinctive physical characteristics of Shiba here;
- They have a unique trait of the northern origin. They have small, erect ears.
- They have satisfactory body size. Neither too long nor too short. They are usually compact.
- They have a totally curled tail. I find this really cute. It looks like a small bun attached on their back!
- They have a thick body fur. When you stroke your hands on their body, you will feel as if you are touching thick velvet!
- They are light and quick at their job. If right training is given, you won’t have any problem when you take them for walks. They understand your pace and would synchronize suavely with the way you walk.
Some Other Quick Facts And Temperament:
Shiba Inu is a hunting dog. This is the reason they have a double coat that consists of a soft undercoat and strong outer coat. This helps them hunt in dense forest areas. They are also a very good natured and an excellent watchdog.
- Hunting dogs usually have a dominating nature and this is quite expected from Shiba Inu breed. They are always in a quest for an adventure.
- Expect them to bark a lot. Basically they are watchdogs and if they find something fishy, they would utilize their vocals to alert everyone.
- The best thing about Shiba is that they are very active when taken outdoors and calm when indoors! I think this is what every dog owner would desire.
A regular exercise is a must:
If you own this breed, be prepared for a daily workout. Shiba Inu needs regular workout. This is a must.
You can take them for long walks or play a game in the lawn. You should always keep them active and healthy. If not they may encounter some problems at the later stage.
I feel that this is good for the Shiba owners too as they would get a lucrative chance of keeping a watch on their own health and weight!
Health is wealth; literally!
Shiba Inu may be susceptible to diseases like Canine hip dysplasia (CHD), distichiasis, progressive retinal atrophy (PRA) and persistent pupillary membranes (PPM). They may also encounter problems like allergies and cataract.
Shiba has a life span of 12-15 years. It is important that proper care is taken from the very beginning. When you adopt them, always ask the vet for a complete diet chart. Never go wrong with their food. Offer them only the right quantity of high quality food. And yes; do not over feed them.
Shiba Inu are beautiful, active and smart breeds but watch out, it would be your duty to take care of them on a daily basis.
If you are planning to get a unique breed, then Shiba is definitely what you need! They are amazing dogs that brings liveliness in your life.
Do you want to share your expertise and experience?
Share your thoughts in the comments below.
If you like this article, share it in your favorite social media sites.