Posted on 1 Comment

Grape and Raisin Poisoning in Dogs. Sweets can be bitter!

The very first question that can mingle in your mind is, “how can a fruit be poisonous?” We all have fruits right? The lovely, sweet taste of grapes just can’t take your hands off it. So, why doesn’t it apply to dogs? Dear friends, if this would have been the case, why don’t we have kibbles? The conclusion is not all foods suit dogs (nor us!). There are certain foods that should never be kept in front of them. Chances are they might gulp it before you warn him.

Your vet might have given you a do’s and don’ts chart that would clearly state that grapes and raisins are his enemies. I know fruits and vegetables are awesome for dogs, but always consult the vet before you offer your anything canine buddy.

Why is it a poison?

I am not going into chemical reactions (chemistry students, we want your help! Kindly comment below), but yes, grapes and raisins have toxic substance that can attack the kidneys of your dog. Are you in a shock? Don’t be. This is the hidden truth of grapes and raisins when offered to dogs.

You might pop up with another question like, “how about a small amount of grapes?” The answer is, even a small amount of grapes can create havoc! There will be a lack of urine production which will eventually affect the kidneys of your dog. This symptom has been seen in many dogs, but not all dogs are affected in this way. However, it is definitely dangerous for your dog.

Raisins are considered more toxic as compared to grapes. Since it is in the dried form, the toxicity is more.

The symptoms

Symptoms can be many. You need to observe your dog carefully.

  • Your dog might start vomiting. The reaction will usually take place within few hours.
  • As already said, kidney failure is a possibility that will ultimately lead to death.
  • He will not feel like having any food. Slowly he will become weak.
  • Dehydration will take place.
  • There will be abdominal pain. He might cry out of pain.
  • Your dog will either urinate in a very small amount or will totally stop urinating. I think this will be a big signal that can help you understand that your dog is in big trouble.

I want to treat my dog immediately

If you are sure that your dog is in trouble and has eaten raisins or grapes, you need to contact the vet as soon as possible. In the mean time you can induce your dog to vomit. However, the best possible thing you can do is take him to the vet. The earlier you recognize the better is the chances of improvement.

Veterinarian will try his level best to block the absorption of the toxins. This will be done by letting your dog vomit again and again in order to remove the toxins. He may also advice for CBC (Complete Blood Count) test and urinalysis. This will help him to assess whether any damage has been created to the kidneys.

How to prevent your dog from this menace?

I know how much you love your dog. At times things happen accidentally and you really can’t help in that. But, definitely you can take some measurements in order to avoid such terrible situations.

  • Keep grapes and raisins right on the shelves. I can understand fruits when kept on shelves will look awkward (people will think you are selfish and would gulp down all of it alone!), but you need to keep it somewhere that is out of reach of your dog.
  • Other toxic foods like onions, chocolates, avocados and cocoas can prove fatal to your dogs. Simply avoid these foods.
  • Alert other members of your house in case they are unaware of it. Awareness can help your dog survive for a longer time! Tell them not to use raisins or grapes as a part of treat.

The conclusion is grapes are sweeter to us, but poisonous for the dogs! Has your dog been into this situation ever? If yes, then how did you tackle it? Let us know how you are taking the precautions as this will help in extending everyone’s knowledge.

1 thought on “Grape and Raisin Poisoning in Dogs. Sweets can be bitter!

  1. I have 2 dogs and because I love them so much, I stopped eating Grape and Raisin or any food that has them. Same goes with other dangerous food for dogs but for chocolate, it’s still in progress.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge