Nutrena® NatureWise® Meatbird Feed Recalled by Cargill.
Company: Cargill, Inc.
Brands: Nutrena® NatureWise® Meatbird Feed
- 40 lb. bags under the name NatureWise Meatbird 22% Crumble with the product code 91585-40 and lot code 5941181016.
Why recalled? due to excess levels of sodium.
- This is a voluntary recall by Cargill. The company is taking appropriate steps to retrieve all affected products, and is continuing to investigate how the excess levels of sodium in the feed occurred.
- The affected products were manufactured at Cargill’s West Branch, Iowa, facility on April 28, 2014, and were distributed in Iowa, Illinois, and possibly Missouri.
- Products were sold in 40-lb. bags under the name NatureWise Meatbird 22% Crumble with the product code 91585-40 and lot code 5941181016.
- The product and lot codes can be found on the bottom left corner of the tag that is attached to the bag.
- No other products/lot numbers are affected by this recall.
- Consumption of the affected feeds may have contributed to poultry illness and death.
What to do?
- Consumers should return remaining product to their local dealer or retailer for a replacement or full refund.
- For more information, visit the company’s website at www.cargill.com/feed/meatbird-feed-recall
- You can also call them at 800-367-4894 (Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. Central Time).
- Customers should call their veterinarian if their animals have experienced adverse health effects while consuming the affected product.
About excess levels of sodium:
- Sodium is an essential nutrient for poultry. However, excess levels of sodium may result in pulmonary hypertension, increased mortality, reduced growth rate, increased water consumption, wet droppings, and wet litter.
FIND OUT WHAT OTHER PET BRANDS MADE THE RECALL LIST:
Don’t ever miss a recall ! Get all the pet food recall alerts delivered to your email as it happens by subscribing to our email notification list. It is FREE to sign up and as a bonus you will also get access to our newsletter.