Evanger’s is voluntarily recalling specific lots of Hunk of Beef because Of Pentobarbital exposure in one lot of Hunk of Beef Au Jus.
Pentobarbital is a sedative that can affect animals that ingest it, and possibly cause side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, excitement, loss of balance, or nausea, or in extreme cases, possibly death.[View All Recalls In Reverse Chronological Order]
Company: Evanger’s Dog & Cat Food of Wheeling, IL
Though pentobarbital was detected in a single batch, all related Hunk of Beef products manufactured the week of June 6 through June 13, 2016, are being recalled out of an abundance of caution.
The affected lots numbers that start with 1816E03HB, 1816E04HB, 1816E06HB, 1816E07HB, and 1816E13HB, and have an expiration date of June 2020.
The second half of the barcode reads 20109, which can be found on the back of the product label.
The recalled products are sold in 2 lb chubs and can be identified with the following manufacturing codes:
- Lot #103 mfd12716
- Turkey with bone
- UPC code 854298001887
The affected products were distributed to retail and online stores in the following states:
- New York
- South Carolina
Why recalled? Due to potential contamination with the deadly drug, pentobarbital.
- Although pentobarbital was detected in a single lot, Evanger’s is voluntarily recalling Hunk of Beef products that were manufactured the same week.
- To date, it has been reported that five dogs became ill and 1 of the five dogs passed away after consuming the product with lot number 1816E06HB13.
- The recall affects 5 lots of food that were produced from its supplier’s lot of beef, which is specifically used for the Hunk of Beef product and no other products.
- The company claims that this is the first recall for Evanger’s in its 82 years of manufacturing.
What to do?
- Although it has been verified that little or no product remains on store shelves, if consumers still have cans with the aforementioned lot numbers, he or she should return it to the place of purchase for a full refund.
- Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-847-537-0102 between 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM Central Time, Monday – Friday.
- U.S. citizens can report complaints about FDA-regulated pet food products by calling the consumer complaint coordinator in your area. Or go to http://www.fda.gov/petfoodcomplaints
- Canadians can report any health or safety incidents related to the use of this product by filling out the Consumer Product Incident Report Form.
FIND OUT WHAT OTHER PET BRANDS MADE THE RECALL LIST:
Don’t ever miss a recall ! Get all the pet food recall alerts delivered to your email as it happens by subscribing to our email notification list. It is FREE to sign up and as a bonus you will also get access to our newsletter.