October 23, 2015 – Salix Animal Health, LLC of Deerfield, FL is voluntarily expanding its recall of “Good ‘n’ Fun – Beefhide Chicken Sticks” due to the potential Salmonella contamination.
This is an expansion of the original Salix recall to include the tested lot and others made around the same time frame. The expansion was issued after Georgia Department of Agriculture confirmed the presence of Salmonella in an additional lot.
Salmonella can affect animals eating the contaminated products and humans are also at risk after handling the products, especially if you don’t wash your hands thoroughly with soap afterwards.
- Salix Animal Health, LLC of Deerfield, FL.
Note: Click on the above images for a larger view.
- “Good ‘n’ Fun – Beefhide Chicken Sticks”
- The recalled product is packaged in a 2.8 ounce bag stamped on the back side with an item code number of 82247 and with an expiration date ranging from 02/2018- 07/2018.
- The UPC code is 0 91093 82247 1 as shown in the table below.
Why recalled? possible Salmonella Contamination.
- This is a voluntary recall and no other Salix products are affected by this recall. This affects Good ‘n’ Fun – Beefhide Chicken Sticks only.
- The recalled products were distributed nationwide to Dollar Tree, Dollar General and Family Dollar retail stores.
- Salix also mentioned that they are working with retailers to ensure that the affected product is removed from inventory and is no longer sold.
What to do?
- If you have purchased this brand of product you need to look at the item number and expiration date on the product package to determine if it is subject to this recall.
- Customers who purchased the recalled products are urged to dispose the product in a trash with a lid, so other animals can’t get to it.
- Or ask for a refund by contacting Salix Animal Health’s consumer affairs team at 1-800-338-4896, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM Eastern Standard Time.
- Customers with any questions may call consumer affairs team at the above number.
About Salmonella Bacteria:
- Salmonella can affect animals eating the products.
- There is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, including raw food, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.
- Healthy people infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever.
- Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms.
- Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers immediately.
- Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting.
- Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain.
- Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans.
- If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian immediately.
FIND OUT WHAT OTHER PET BRANDS MADE THE RECALL LIST:
Don’t ever miss a recall ! Get all the pet food recall alerts delivered to your email as it happens by subscribing to our email notification list. It is FREE to sign up and as a bonus you will also get access to our newsletter.