Tuffy’s Pet Foods, Inc. of Perham, MN is voluntarily recalling specific lots of 4 lb. bags of Nutrisca Chicken and Chick Pea Recipe Dry Dog Food because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. Tuffy’s manufactured the product for Nutrisca.[View All Recalls In Reverse Chronological Order]
- Tuffy’s Pet Foods, Inc.
- Nutrisca Chicken and Chick Pea Recipe Dry Dog Food
- The recalled product was distributed in the 4 lb. bags nationwide to distributors, brokers, retail stores, and internet retailers.
- The recalled product is limited to Nutrisca Chicken and Chick Pea Recipe Dry Dog Food in 4 lb. bag sizes, bearing UPC Code “8 84244 12495 7” (found on lower back of the bag).
- Products included in the recall are identified by the below first 5 digits of the Lot Code (found on upper back of the bag) and “Best by Dates” (found on upper back of the bag).
- First five digits of Lot Codes:
4G29P, 4G31P, 4H01P, 4H04P, 4H05P, 4H06P
- Best By Dates:
Jul 28 16, Jul 30 16, Jul 31 16, Aug 03 16, Aug 04 16, Aug 05 16
Why recalled? possible Salmonella Contamination.
- No other bag sizes or other Nutrisca dog food, cat food, biscuits/treats, supplements or other products, are affected by this announcement.
- No Salmonella-related illnesses in people or animals have been reported to date in association with these products.
- The recall was initiated after a routine sampling program by the Ohio Department of Agriculture revealed the presence of Salmonella in one 4 lb. bag of product.
- The company is coordinating this voluntary recall with the FDA, and is issuing the recall action out of an abundance of caution.
What to do?
- Consumers who purchased the 4 lb. bags of the dry dog food product subject to the voluntary recall (as identified above) should stop using the product, discard it in a safe manner (example, a securely covered trash receptacle), and contact Nutrisca at the number below for further information.
- For consumer information or questions regarding this voluntary recall, please contact Nutrisca at 1-888-559-8833.
About Salmonella Bacteria:
- Salmonella can affect animals eating the products.
- There is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.
- Healthy people infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever.
- Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms.
- Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers immediately.
- Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting.
- Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain.
- Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans.
- If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian immediately.
FIND OUT WHAT OTHER PET BRANDS MADE THE RECALL LIST:
Don’t ever miss a recall ! Get all the pet food recall alerts delivered to your email as it happens by subscribing to our email notification list. It is FREE to sign up and as a bonus you will also get access to our newsletter.