The potential to be contaminated with Salmonella has led Pet International of Miami, Florida to recall 1500 units of 6” Beef Trachea Pet Treat. Salmonella can affect animals including dogs if they ingest the products. Humans can also be infected from handling the product if they do not thoroughly wash their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.
Company: Pet International of Miami, Florida
- Buster’s Natural Pet Supply
- The product that are potentially affected will pertain to a particular lot number, and are specific to a particular size of the pouch it’s sold in. Verify the following information to see if it is the one you purchased.
Buster’s Natural Pet Supply,
Lot Code: 8501450,
Size: 6” Beef Trachea/ 12 Pack Plastic Pouch,
UPC Code: 8501450
Why recalled? possible Salmonella Contamination.
- The 6” Beef Trachea Pet Treat was distributed to retail stores in the following Cities: Conifer, and Lakewood in Colorado.
- No illnesses have been reported to date. The consumers are being advised to check the product package information and if matches, do not feed it to any animals at all. It may be hazardous and should be disposed of immediately.
- The recall was as the result of a routine sampling program by the Colorado Department of Agriculture and analyzed by FDA, obtained from Buster’s Natural Pet Supply in Conifer, CO. and found to be positive for Salmonella.
- The product sampled had a Buster’s Label on it, but was manufactured by Pet International. Buster’s Natural Pet Supply recalled the entire product from the two stores that the distributor sells it.
- The Pet International Inc. is continuing their investigation as to what caused the problem.
What to do?
- If you have this product, use gloves and put in a double bag and throw it away as soon as possible.
- Do not touch the product in any way, and if you do, it’s recommended you must wash your hands immediately with an antibacterial soap.
- Consumers who have purchased 6” Beef Trachea with Buster’s Natural Pet Supply Label on it and are wishing to be refunded because of the recall, can take the product back to where they bought it from, with receipt. A special form will be provided to be filled out as well. Both the form and the receipt are needed for the refund.
- Consumers with any questions about the recall product may contact the company by phone at (305) 591-3338 Monday through Friday 9:00am too 5:00pm EST or via e-mail at email@example.com.
About Salmonella Bacteria:
- Salmonella can affect animals eating the products.
- There is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.
- Healthy people infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever.
- Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms.
- Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers immediately.
- Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting.
- Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain.
- Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans.
- If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian immediately.
FIND OUT WHAT OTHER PET BRANDS MADE THE RECALL LIST:
Don’t ever miss a recall ! Get all the pet food recall alerts delivered to your email as it happens by subscribing to our email notification list. It is FREE to sign up and as a bonus you will also get access to our newsletter.