Nature’s Variety is voluntary recalling their Instinct® Raw Chicken Formula for dogs due to the potential Salmonella contamination. Salmonella can affect animals eating the contaminated products and humans are also at risk after handling the products, especially if you don’t wash your hands thoroughly with soap afterwards.[View All Recalls In Reverse Chronological Order]
- Nature’s Variety of Saint Louis, Missouri.
NOTE: Click on the picture to see all the photo labels of this recall.
- Instinct® Raw Chicken Formula for dogs.
- The recalled products are the Instinct Raw Chicken Formula Frozen Diets packaged with the following information:
-> Instinct Raw Chicken Formula Bites for Dogs 4 lb. ; Best By 04/27/16; UPC# 769949611431
-> Instinct Raw Chicken Formula Bites for Dogs 7 lb. ; Best By 04/27/16; UPC# 769949611448
-> Instinct Raw Chicken Formula Patties for Dogs 6 lb. ; Best By 04/27/16; UPC# 769949611486
Why recalled? possible Salmonella Contamination.
- This is a voluntary recall and no other Nature’s Variety products are affected by this recall.
- The recalled products have the “Best By” date of 04/27/16 which is on the back of the package below the seal.
- As of today, no illness have been reported. However, if you have the recalled products, you should dispose it in a trash with a lid, where no animals can get to it.
- The recalled products were distributed via retail stores in United States and Canada.
- The recall was put into place after FDA found salmonella in a routine sampling of 7 lbs Instinct Raw Chicken bites.
What to do?
- If you have the recalled product, do not feed it to pets. Dispose it safely in a trash, with a lid, so no animals can get to it.
- If you have bought the recalled products, you can get a full refund or exchange from the retailer, if you take back the product in its original packaging or take a proof of purchase (receipt).
- If you have any additional questions regarding this recall, you can call Nature’s Variety Consumer Relations team at 888-519-7387 from 8 am to 7 pm Central time, 7 days a week. Or, you can also email Nature’s Variety via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are a U.S. citizen, you can report complaints about FDA-regulated pet food products by calling the consumer complaint coordinator in your area. Or you can also go to http://www.fda.gov/petfoodcomplaints.
- Canadians can report any health or safety incidents related to the use of this product by filling out the Consumer Product Incident Report Form.
About Salmonella Bacteria:
- Salmonella can affect animals eating the products.
- There is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, including raw food, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.
- Healthy people infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever.
- Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms.
- Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers immediately.
- Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting.
- Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain.
- Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans.
- If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian immediately.
FIND OUT WHAT OTHER PET BRANDS MADE THE RECALL LIST:
Don’t ever miss a recall ! Get all the pet food recall alerts delivered to your email as it happens by subscribing to our email notification list. It is FREE to sign up and as a bonus you will also get access to our newsletter.