Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Inc. recalls Science Diet Adult Small & Toy Breed Dry Dog Food because of the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella.
Company: Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Inc.
Brands: Science Diet® Adult Small & Toy Breed™
- This voluntary recall is limited to 62 (15.5 lb.) bags of Science Diet® Adult Small & Toy Breed™ dry dog food with the Stock-Keeping Unit (SKU) code, “Best before” date and production code shown below:
|Product Name||Bag Size||SKU||“Best Before” Date/ Production Code|
|Science Diet® Adult Small & Toy Breed||15.5 lbs.||9097||08 2015 M094|
Why recalled? Potential to be contaminated with Salmonella.
- The suspect product, part of a single production run, was distributed to 17 veterinary clinic and pet store customers in California, Hawaii and Nevada between April 24 and May 13, 2014.
- This product was accidentally released, as revealed during a routine inventory reconciliation.
- All 17 affected customers have been contacted by Hill’s and there have been no reported illnesses related to this product to date.
- The SKU number is located on the bottom of the bag, both side panels and on the back lower right hand corner below the UPC code. As illustrated in the image above, the “Best before” date and production code is stamped on the top, middle of each bag.
- This recall does not impact any Science Diet® Adult Small and Toy Breed™ products with different “best before” dates or any other Science Diet products.
What to do?
- Consumers who may have purchased any of these specific 62 15.5 lb bags of Science Diet® Adult Small & Toy Breed™ dry dog food should discontinue use of the product and immediately call Hill’s Pet Nutrition at 1-800-445-5777 Monday-Friday during the hours of 7am-7pm (CT).
- Hill’s will arrange to collect the unused portion of the product at its own expense at a time convenient for the consumer and will provide a full refund.
About Salmonella Bacteria:
- Salmonella can affect animals eating the products.
- There is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.
- Healthy people infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever.
- Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms.
- Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers immediately.
- Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting.
- Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain.
- Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans.
- If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian immediately.
FIND OUT WHAT OTHER PET BRANDS MADE THE RECALL LIST:
Don’t ever miss a recall ! Get all the pet food recall alerts delivered to your email as it happens by subscribing to our email notification list. It is FREE to sign up and as a bonus you will also get access to our newsletter.