December 2, 2015 – Dave’s Pet Food is voluntarily recalling a single batch of its Dave’s Simply the Best Dog Food due to the presence of an ‘off odor’. The co-packer of the product has issued a report confirming that the recall has been voluntary instigated.
- Dave’s Pet Food of Agawam, Massachusetts.
- One batch of Dave’s Simply The Best Dry Dog Food with Best Use By date: October 15, 2016.
Why the recall?
The co-packer of the product, Southern Tier Pet Nutrition responding to a complaint filed by a customer in 11/2/15, mentioned in their report that the following was found after an investigation:
- ‘Peroxide value was high indicating rancidity’
- ‘Product contains rice bran and could have been the source of the off odor’
- Rancidification, the product of which can be described as rancidity, is the process which causes a substance to become rancid, that is, having a rank, unpleasant smell or taste. – wikipedia
What to do?
- U.S. citizens can report complaints about FDA-regulated pet food products by calling the consumer complaint coordinator in your area.
- Or go to http://www.fda.gov/petfoodcomplaints
- Canadians can report any health or safety incidents related to the use of this product by filling out the Consumer Product Incident Report Form.
FIND OUT WHAT OTHER PET BRANDS MADE THE RECALL LIST:
Don’t ever miss a recall ! Get all the pet food recall alerts delivered to your email as it happens by subscribing to our email notification list. It is FREE to sign up and as a bonus you will also get access to our newsletter.