January 4, 2016 – Big Dog Natural is voluntarily recalling select production lot of Big Dog Natural raw dehydrated dog food Chicken Supreme due to potential Salmonella contamination. The company is also recalling its Fish Supreme products due to potential Listeria monocytogenes contamination.
Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes can affect animals eating the contaminated products and humans are also at risk after handling the products, especially if you don’t wash your hands thoroughly with soap afterwards.
Company: Big Dog Natural of Brick, NJ
Note: Click on the image for a larger view.
- Air dried Fermented Natural dog food Chicken Supreme
- Air dried Fermented Natural dog food Fish Supreme
The recalled products include all weight volumes of select lot of Big Dog Natural raw dehydrated dog food Chicken Supreme and Fish Supreme that was shipped in the week of 10/31/2015 to 11/13/2015. These products were sold directly to consumers through the company’s online website in the US.
Why recalled? potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes and Salmonella
- So far no additional products by this company are affected by this recall.
- The recalled product was shipped in the week of 10/31/2015 to 11/13/2015 to online customers, in the US.
- This voluntarily recalled product include all weight volumes of the Big Dog Natural Chicken and Fish Supreme.
- This recall was initiated after FDA found Salmonella in a test sample of Chicken Supreme and Listeria in Fish Supreme.
What to do?
- If you are feeding this product to your pets, you should discontinue feeding and monitor their health closely.
- If you have any concerns or if they start showing following mentioned signs and symptoms, contact a veterinarian immediately.
- Consumers who purchased the product can obtain a full refund or exchange by returning the product in its original packaging.
- Consumers with questions should contact Big Dog Natural or by calling 1-732-785-2600 (from 9am till 4pm EST).
About Listeria monocytogenes:
- Listeria monocytogenes is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.
- Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
- Healthy cats and dogs rarely become sick from Listeria. If animals get ill with Listeria they will display symptoms similar to the ones listed above for humans.
- People who have concerns about whether their pet has Listeria should contact their veterinarian.
About Salmonella Bacteria:
- Salmonella can affect animals eating the products.
- There is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.
- Healthy people infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever.
- Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms.
- Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers immediately.
- Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting.
- Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain.
- Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans.
- If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian immediately.
FIND OUT WHAT OTHER PET BRANDS MADE THE RECALL LIST:
Don’t ever miss a recall ! Get all the pet food recall alerts delivered to your email as it happens by subscribing to our email notification list. It is FREE to sign up and as a bonus you will also get access to our newsletter.