December 24, 2014 – [Recalls In Reverse Chronological Order]
Company: Barkworthies of Richmond, VA
- Barkworthies Chicken Vittles dog chews
Here are the details on the affected products. The Lot Code can be found on the side of the plastic pouch.
Barkworthies Chicken Vittles
Lot Code: 1254T1
Size: 16 oz. Plastic Pouch
Best Used by Date: May 2016
Why recalled? potential to be contaminated with Salmonella.
- This product was distributed nationwide starting May 6, 2014.
- This recall started after a routine testing by the Colorado Department of Agriculture revealed the presence of Salmonella in a single lot of the product.
- This batch tested negative by third party independent laboratory before the release for distribution to consumers.
- There has been no reports of illness in either people or animals associated with these products to date.
- No other products are affected by this recall.
What to do?
- The recalled product should not be sold or fed to pets.
- For a full refund, pet owners should return all unused product to their place of purchase along with a completed Product Recall Claim Form available on the Barkworthies website
- You can call toll free 877-993-4257 Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm ET.
- U.S. citizens can report complaints about FDA-regulated pet food products by calling the consumer complaint coordinator in your area. You can also go to http://www.fda.gov/petfoodcomplaints
- Canadians can report any health or safety incidents related to the use of this product by filling out the Consumer Product Incident Report Form
About Salmonella Bacteria:
- Salmonella can affect animals eating the products.
- There is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.
- Healthy people infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever.
- Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms.
- Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers immediately.
- Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting.
- Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain.
- Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans.
- If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian immediately.
- Barkworthies: Recall Information
FIND OUT WHAT OTHER PET BRANDS MADE THE RECALL LIST:
Don’t ever miss a recall ! Get all the pet food recall alerts delivered to your email as it happens by subscribing to our email notification list. It is FREE to sign up and as a bonus you will also get access to our newsletter.